June 28, 2008

Finished with Classes

We had our second half of the Bridge Builder classes today and this is what we covered:

Class 5 - Creating Positive Attachments #2

Class 6 - Parenting the Abused and Neglected Child

Class 7 - Parenting the Substance Exposed Child

The classes were very informative. I think the biggest thing that I left there understanding a bit better is that I have grown up thinking that I can, and will, raise my (our) children with the knowledge that my parents have given me as parents. I would use my experiences as a child/youth/adult as a way to guide my child(ren) through their life experiences. What I now understand better is that the child(ren) that we raise as our own, not only that have been adopted, but especially the children that have been through the foster care system due to neglect and abuse will have to be raised with a completely different structure. We as parents will have to be aware of different issues and feelings that a biological child would not experience. There will be more "reason" behind their behaviors than we may understand at first and it will be our job as adoptive parents to look deeper into the meaning behind these behaviors.

In these classes we were taught different ways to go about understanding the behaviors and feelings of our future child(ren) and were given an amazing amount of resources to help us along the way. These children will need an extra special touch of love and patience in their lives and it will be our job to give that to them. Unconditionally!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW GUYS!! You're sooo close!! It's been amazing to see your progress over the past year. Congrats on all that you've completed! You've come so far & I'm so happy that you're almost there!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys...You've got your stuff done. What's next what's next??

Anonymous said...

Kristy, it is a great feeling to get done with the classes. My husband and I still need to do the "bridge classes), but have finished the foster classes...In Missouri it is broken up and they don't have another class for awhile. Still no word on any matches for us good luck on your journey.